it’s been a long time. (we shouldn’t’ve left you/without a dope beat to step to).
i’ve missed blogging for the past couple months because: school and
reasons stress. but now I’m back at it, because: no school and reasons i forgot my class registration appointment. some things just don’t change. but, yay! I’m free for the summer to blog and eat and play.
i made blueberry oat muffins a while ago, intending to blog about them because they were SO GOOD i made them twice in a week, by request of both husband and kids.
‘muffins’ is such a weird word. cupcake, i totally get. its a cup sized cake. but where the heck did muffins come from? and the more you read the dang word the weirder it sounds and the less sense it makes. muffins. muffffffins.
regardless of their weird name, muffins are awesome. cupcakes are sweet indulgence; muffins are … slightly less sweet indulgence. sorry. i thought i was going somewhere with that.
cupcakes are sweet indulgence; muffins are … slightly less sweet indulgence.
anyhoos, here’s the recipe! these blueberry oat muffins are super healthy, full of juicy blueberries and oat-y fibre. there’s barely any sugar, ‘cos they are sweetened with honey, and doesn’t contain any butter or oil. say whaaaaaaaaaaaa!?!? yup. just 0% greek yogurt to keep things nice and ahem* moist. the only time and space that that word is acceptable. moist muffins. ew, ok I’m cringing now.
anyhoos, these are perfect for grab-and-go breakfasts or afternoon snacks! make some soon!
blueberry oat muffins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, optional
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup homo milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup blueberries, frozen or fresh
- brown sugar or sanding sugar, optional
- preheat your oven to 350F, and line a muffin tray with muffin cups.
- in a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, lemon zest, and salt. set aside.
- in a separate bowl, beat the egg until it becomes slightly frothy. whisk in the yogurt, honey, milk, and vanilla, mixing until well combined.
- add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing gently until just combined. toss the blueberries in 1 tablespoon of flour to prevent them from bleeding or sinking to the bottom of the muffins, and fold them into the batter.
- divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups (i use an ice-cream scoop for OCD proportioning), filling almost to the top. add a sprinkle of brown sugar or sanding sugar and extra oats, if desired.
- bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins are firm to the touch and toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. allow the muffins to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
adapted from running with spoons.