im baaaaaaaack! after a week’s hiatus because life has been crazy town. didjamissme?*
anyways, i missed me. i mean, i missed food. i mean i missed blogging about food.
but I’m back at it, and i baked oatmeal cookies last week to cheer myself up after a gazillion hours of essay writing.
also… i picked up crocheting again! really, it was just to keep my hands busy so I’m not constantly feeding myself. its an awful, debilitating hand-to-mouth habit. so I’m trying to make it a wool-to-toy habit. yes, that was terrible, i know. i’m so tired.
anyhoos, i made gimpy the owl.
lol isn’t he so gimpy?!? i gave him to my friend’s kid, cos she loves owls. she had an owl party for her third birthday and her mom went full martha stewart** on it. it was insane. i have pics somewhere on FB but I’m too lazy to find them. just take my word for it. FULL MARTHA.
anyhoos. to offset my penchant to crochet like an old grandma, i hit the slopes with my fam jam last week. am praying so hard that the season will be full of glorious pow days…but am trying not to get my hopes up, and just take it one day at a time.
but the first day was fun. the kiddos picked up right where they left off… and I’m so scared keira is gonna kill herself. that one’s a risk taker, man. gotta watch out for her. she freakin’ bombs all the way down, no brakes.
but I’m secretly very proud of her. and zoe too, she’s on her school volleyball team! say whaaaaaaa?!
yeah, all that happened last week.
last week. ugh. right. doctor who. broke my heart. i can’t even talk .about clara. the feels. are too. intense.
but cookies will make it better. bake some for me please?
*can’t wait for the sherlock special!! ^fan-girl squeeeeeeeeee^
**gloria you are amazeballs. i love you, and i love your balls. take that however you like.
jacked up oatmeal cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- in a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. in a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, spices and salt together. stir this into the butter/sugar mixture. stir in the oats, buckwheat groats, flax seeds, raisin, currants and pecans.
- at this point you can either chill the dough for a bit in the fridge and then scoop it, or scoop the cookies onto a sheet and then chill the whole tray before baking them. you could also bake them right away, if you’re impatient, but I do find that they end up slighly less thick. either way, heat oven to 350°F before you scoop the cookies, so that it’s fully heated when you’re ready to put them in.
- the cookies should be two inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. bake them for 10 to 12 minutes (your baking time will vary, depending on your oven and how cold the cookies were going in), taking them out when golden at the edges but still a little undercooked-looking on top. Let them sit on the hot baking sheet for five minutes before transferring them to a rack to cool.
Add any additional notes here.